- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 portobello mushroom, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, keep them whole
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 15 oz can red kidney beans
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup cold buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 475 F/246 C. Grease a rimmed sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Arrange the cauliflower, poblano pepper, mushroom, onions, and tomatoes on the pan in a single layer. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and season with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Roast the veggies for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the biscuit dough by whisking together the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter until they are pea-sized. Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Smash the tomatoes with a fork. Pour on the undrained can of kidney beans and the tomato sauce. Add the minced garlic. Carefully stir to combine all the vegetables and beans together.
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to plop the biscuit dough on top, keeping the biscuits about 2 inches apart. You can make the biscuits whatever size you want. I made 7 large ones but you can make 10 smaller ones.
- Bake until the biscuits are done, about 25 minutes or until golden. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Keywords: sheet pan vegetarian chili