- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F/176 C. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the eggs and brown sugar, whisking for about 1 minute. Add the pumpkin, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Place a large mesh strainer above the bowl. Dump the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne into the strainer and shake the contents. They will sift together as they drop into the egg mixture below.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a silicone spatula until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the soft dough into the prepared loaf pan. Use the spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for around 1 hour (start testing at 55 minutes to see if a toothpick comes out clean). Allow it to cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing it from the pan. Use the parchment overhang to lift it out. Let cool completely before applying glaze.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne in a small bowl. Add the pumpkin and milk, then whisk to combine. It should be thick but pourable.
- Once the bread is cooled, pour the glaze over the top and allow it to run down the sides. Give the glaze 20 minutes or so to set before slicing.
Keywords: chocolate chip pumpkin bread